Walk For Homeless Youth
The Floyd Honey Foundation advocates for homeless youth in Toronto. We actively involve young people in our initiatives, and partner to provide shelter and transitional housing. Please help!
Who was Floyd Honey?
Floyd's Story
Floyd Honey

Floyd Honey was a visionary. A tall, active guy even at 86, with a shock of snow-white hair and a resolute gleam in his eyes, he was determined to support those whom society ignored. If you had ever watched him charging along the sidewalk - aged, but bound to make a difference - you knew you were watching someone very special.

That quality had shown itself from the beginning of his career as a United Church minister. In the brutal conditions of China in the late 1940s, you might have watched him working side by side to help the peasants restore their lives and learn to make a living on their own land. By 1951, when he left China, the Maoist revolution had made the country dangerous for foreigners. At that point, Floyd Honey might comfortably have retreated into a parish in some Canadian backwater.

Instead he turned his gaze toward international social justice issues, including the pain of poverty in his own country. In senior executive positions with the Canadian Council of Churches and World Council of Churches, he was officially a bureaucrat, but his passion was creating coalitions of organizations that would actively pressure governments to aid the poor and disadvantaged.

After a long, effective career, Floyd Honey retired in name, but in fact refused to stop. He continued to support the cause of those caught in poverty and injustice. For the sake of a cleaner environment, he seldom drove a car, relying on public transit and his own two feet to travel the length and breadth of Toronto. Every time he stopped and talked with a homeless teenager on the sidewalk, or an old man like himself begging for change at the entrance to the subway, his determination grew. Floyd Honey believed that these people could live with dignity and a modicum of comfort if only they had stable homes and a chance to learn useful skills.

On July 9, 2002, having attended a vigil in support of the homeless, he set out on the last of his long walks home. Arriving at a subway station, he waited patiently on the platform. As a train entered the station, the rush of air blew his hat off his head. He reached down to pick up the hat, lost his balance, and fell into the side of the moving train.

A week later, in hospital, he died.